Borough of Bellefonte

Historical Markers

05.21.2014  |  Email This Page   |  Print This Page

Andrew G. Curtin

Andrew G Curtin’s Birthplace

Dedicated: October 9, 1950
Marker Type: City
GIS Coordinates:
Location: Allegheny St. at Cherry Ln

Marker Text: Governor of Pennsylvania, 1861-67, was born on this site. He brought about the establishment of State Normal Schools; organized the famed Pennsylvania Reserve Corps; obtained funds for the erection of State Orphan Schools.

Andrew Gregg Curtin Statue*

William Clark Noble’s c.1913 bronze statue of Andrew Gregg Curtin.

Andrew Gregg Curtin Plaque on Statue*

Plaque Text: Andrew Gregg Curtin 1815-1894 Secretary of the Commonwealth 1855-1858 Governor 1861-1867 Minister to Russia 1869-1872 Delegate-at-large Constitutional Convention 1872-1874 Congressman 1881-1887 The Great War Governor The Soldier’s Friend

Governors Memorial*

Governors Memorial
Governors Memorial 2

Dedicated: July 15, 1995
GIS Coordinates:
Location: Talleyrand Park, just off W High St

Memorial Text: William Bigler 1813-1880 Gov. Pennsylvania 1852-1854 William F. Packer 1807-1870 Gov. Pennsylvania 1858-1860 John Bigler 1805-1856 Gov. California 1852-1856 Robert J. Walker 1801-1869 Gov. Kansas 1857 Andrew Gregg Curtin 1815-1894 Gov. Pennsylvania 1861-1866 James A. Beaver 1837-1914 Gov. Pennsylvania 1887-1890 Daniel H. Hastings 1849-1903 Gov. Pennsylvania 1895-1898. Dedicated to the Town of Bellefonte July 15, 1995 Bellefonte Area Jaycees to honor the seven governors who at one time lived, worked and learned in Bellefonte.

Establishment of Bellefonte

Establishment of Bellefonte

Dedicated: May 8, 1947
Marker Type: Roadside
GIS Coordinates:
Location: On the “Diamond” at the intersection of Allegheny St and High St, near the County Courthouse

Marker Text: Laid out by James Dunlap and James Harris, 1795. Named by Talleyrand for “beautiful fountain.” Early center of the iron industry. One-time home of five of Pennsylvania’s governors.

Anna Wagner Keichline

Anna Wagner Keichline

Dedicated: October 12, 2002
Marker Type: City
GIS Coordinates:
Location: 126 West High Street

Marker Text: First woman registered as an architect by the state (1920), this Bellefonte native, inventor, Cornell grad & women’s suffrage advocate designed numerous buildings, including the Plaza Theatre here. She served as Special Agent, Army intelligence, WWI.

Bellefonte Air Mail Field

Bellefonte Air Mail Field

Dedicated: June 1, 1969
Marker Type: Roadside
GIS Coordinates:
Location: E. Bishop St. at high school

Marker Text: The initial stop on the first scheduled west-bound air mail flight was made here by Pilot Leon D. Smith on December 18, 1918. The site for the field was chosen by pioneer aviator Max Miller and was in regular use for air mail until 1925.

Establishment of Centre County

Establishment of Centre County

Dedicated: May 10, 1982
Marker Type: City
GIS Coordinates:
Location: County Courthouse, Allegheny St. at High St.

Marker Text: Formed on Feb. 13, 1800 from Huntingdon, Mifflin, Lycoming and Northumberland counties. Named for its location in the State, and home of The Pennsylvania State University. Five governors of Pennsylvania lived in Bellefonte, county seat laid out in 1795.

John Montgomery Ward

John Montgomery Ward

Dedicated: September 16, 2000
Marker Type: City
GIS Coordinates:
Location: 236 East Lamb St.

Marker Text: Baseball pioneer, born in Bellefonte, grew up here. Played for Providence, N.Y. Giants, Brooklyn, 1878-94. Pitched professional baseball’s 2nd perfect game, 1880. Formed first players ‘ union, 1885, & Players’ League, 1890. In Baseball Hall of Fame.

Mills Brothers 

Mills Brothers

Dedicated: June 13, 1992
Marker Type: City
GIS Coordinates:
Location: 213 W. High St., between Water & Spring

Marker Text: Grandfather, William H. Mills, a local Jubilee Singer, had a barber shop here, 1871-1931. Father, John H., went to Ohio. Four sons, born there, formed first vocal group to overcome racial barriers, gaining a mass audience. Father was its bass, 1936-56; group endured, 1925-81.

Match Factory

Match Factory

Dedicated: June 26, 2004
Marker Type: Roadside
GIS Coordinates:
Location: Willowbank St. (PA 150) at Phoenix Ave.

Marker Text: One of the nation’s leading producers of wooden matches during the first half of the 20th century; founded 1899 by Bellefonte entrepreneurs. The factory buildings opened in 1900, using the vast resources of the surrounding lumber region. By World War II, the company had merged into the Universal Match Corp., and the workforce had grown to 400. The factory in 1947 closed due to competition from book matches and cigarette lighters.

Union Cemetery 

Union Cemetery

Dedicated: September 7, 1992
Marker Type: Roadside
GIS Coordinates:
Location: At entrance at E Howard St., near Cowdrick Alley

Marker Text: First burial here as early as 1808. Cemetery chartered in 1856. Here lie three Governors of Pennsylvania and their wives — Andrew Gregg Curtin (1815-1894), who served 1861-67, and Katharine Wilson Curtin (1821-1903); James Addams Beaver (1837-1914), who served 1887-91, and Mary McAllister Beaver (1842-1926); Daniel Hartman Hastings (1849-1903), who served 1895-99, and Jane Rankin Hastings (1851-1937).

James A. “Billboard” Jackson

James A. “Billboard” Jackson 

Dedicated: May 18, 2014
Marker Type: City
GIS Coordinates:
Location: 207 E High St

Marker Text: A prominent African American journalist, as editor at Billboard magazine, Jackson promoted black theater during the 1920s Harlem Renaissance. he later fostered African American business activities for the US Dept. of Commerce. He was born and raised here.

*These are not Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission historical markers.