New applications for owner-occupied and non-owner-occupied short-term rentals are not permitted in the borough residential districts R-1 and R-2.
View the Bellefonte Borough zoning map here.
All rental housing (including short-term rentals, aka: “Air B&B”) in the Borough is required to have a rental permit and is regulated by the International Property Maintenance & Fire Prevention Code 2017. This code requires the property owner to maintain the structure in a safe and sanitary condition. Occupants are required to maintain those areas they occupy in a clean and sanitary condition. Failure to maintain the property may result in fines.
Questions on this code should be directed to the Centre Region Code Administration at (814) 231-3056 or by email at [email protected].
- Complete a Zoning Permit Application for Rental Housing with the Bellefonte Borough.
- Complete a Centre Region Code Rental Housing Permit Application Packet (PDF). You can get a hard copy from either Bellefonte Borough or Centre Region Code Administration. An application can be mailed to you by calling Centre Region Code Administration (CRCA), 814-231-3056.
- Return both completed applications and required zoning permit fee ($50 for change of owner, manager, or new rental permit) to the Bellefonte Borough office, c/o Gina Thompson, Zoning Administrator. Checks must be payable to the Bellefonte Borough. Once the Borough processes the application, it will be forwarded to the Centre Region Code Administration for further processing. Thereafter, the Code Administration will contact you directly for follow up.
- New applications for owner-occupied and non-owner-occupied short-term rentals are not permitted in the borough residential districts: R-1 and R-2.
(You can view the zoning map here)
Are you a tenant in Bellefonte Borough? Know Your Rights.
- Housing Code Fact Sheet – here you can find information on your rights as a tenant, and how to request code inspections of your rental unit.
- Repair & Deduct: A Tenant’s Right to Safe and Decent Housing – includes a brochure with a sample letter to notify your landlord of health/safety/code issues.
- What is my responsibility as a tenant?
- Centre County State Health Center
246 West Hamilton Avenue
State College, PA 16801