HARB Review Process
If your property is located in the Bellefonte HARB-Regulated Historic District (see map) and you are planning changes to its exterior appearance, your proposed work will require the review of the HARB. Click here to review the standards and resources used by the HARB
Click here for general information about the review process.
The HARB meetings are held in Bellefonte Borough Council Chambers at the Borough building, 236 West Lamb Street, Bellefonte, PA on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 8:30 a.m. Exceptions to this schedule usually occur in December due to holidays.
To appear on a meeting agenda, applications for project review must be received by 4:00 p.m. twelve (12) days prior to the meeting date, unless a holiday falls on such date, in which case it will fall to the previous business day. Click here for a full schedule of meeting dates and deadlines.
The HARB applications for normal projects may be obtained by contacting the borough’s historic preservation consultant at 814-355-1501. You may also download copies here:
- HARB Application
- Final Submittal Requirements for Normal Projects
- Color Schedule
- Window Replacement Submittal Requirement
- Conceptual Review Submittal Requirements
- Preliminary Review Submittal Requirements
- Final Review Large Projects
Completion of the HARB application includes:
- A description of the work to be done.
- Photographs of your property that clearly illustrate the physical location of the proposed work.
- Photographs of your property that clearly depict the public view of the building(s) under consideration.
- Material samples, product literature, and specific paint colors to be used in the exterior alterations.
- Scaled drawings illustrating finished dimensions and/or appearance if your proposed project involves new construction.
Attendance at the HARB meeting is necessary for project review. Failure of the applicant or a designated representative to appear may result in postponement of an application.
Upon approval by HARB, a recommendation will be made to borough council to issue a Certificate of Appropriateness. This is required prior to receiving a building permit or beginning construction of your proposed work in the Historic District. Borough council review usually occurs within one week of the HARB recommendation.