Dedicated: May 8, 1947
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77811, LAT: 40.91197 and LNG: -77.78307, LAT: 40.90728
Locations: S Allegheny (Rt 144) & W High Sts., public square; 435 Willowbank St (PA 150, just south of Bellefonte
Marker Text: Laid out by james Dunlap and James Harris, 1795. Named by Talleyrand for “beautiful fountain.” Early center of the iron industry. One-time home of five of Pennsylvania’s governors.
Andrew G. Curtin
Dedicated: October 9, 1950
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77755, LAT: 40.91124
Location: S Allegheny St (PA 144) at Cherry Lane, Bellefonte, one block south of square
Marker Text: Governor of Pennsylvania, 1861-67, was born on this site. He brought about the establishment of State Normal Schools; organized the famed Pennsylvania Reserve Corps; obtained funds for the erection of State Orphan Schools.
Bellefonte Air Mail Field
Dedicated: June 1, 1969
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.76165, LAT: 40.91397
Location: E Bishop St (PA 550) at S School St, at high school, Bellefonte
Marker Text: The initial stop on the first scheduled west-bound air mail flight was made here by Pilot Leon D Smith on December 18, 1918. The site of the field was chosen by pioneer aviator Max Miller and was in regular use for air mail until 1925.
Dedicated: May 10, 1982
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77769, LAT: 40.91221
Location: County Courthouse, Allegheny St at High St, Bellefonte
Marker Text: Formed on Feb. 13, 1800 from Huntingdon, Mifflin, Lycoming and Northumberland counties. Named for its location in the State, and home of The Pennsylvania State University. Five governors of Pennsylvania lived in Bellefonte, county seat laid out in 1795.
The Mills Brothers
Dedicated: June 13, 1992
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.78007, LAT: 40.91167
Location: 213 W High St, between Water & Spring, Bellefonte
Marker Text: Grandfather, William H. Mills, a local Jubilee Singer, had a barber shop here, 1871-1931. Father, John H., went to Ohio. Four sons, born there, formed first vocal group to overcome racial barriers, gaining a mass audience. Father was its bass, 1936-56; group endured, 1925-81.
Dedicated: September 7, 1992
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77383, LAT: 40.91436
Location: At entrance at E Howard St, near Cowdrick Alley, Bellefonte
Marker Text: First burial here as early as 1808. Cemetery chartered in 1856. Here lie three Governors of Pennsylvania and their wives — Andrew Gregg Curtin (1815-1894), who served 1861-67, and Katharine Wilson Curtin (1821-19030; James Addams Beaver (1837-1914), who served 1887-91, and Mary McAllister Beaver (1842-1926); Daniel Hartman Hastings (1849-1903), who served 1895-99, and Jane Rankin Hastings (1851-1937).
John Montgomery Ward (1860-1925)
Dedicated: September 16, 2000
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77629, LAT: 40.91579
Location: 236 E Lamb St, at N Ridge St, Bellefonte
Marker Text: Baseball pioneer, born in Bellefonte, grew up here. Played for Providence, N.Y. Giants, Brooklyn, 1878-94. Pitched professional baseball’s 2nd perfect game, 1880. Formed first players’ union, 1885, & Players’ League, 1890. In Baseball Hall of Fame.
Anna Wagner Keichline (1889-1943)
Dedicated: October 12, 2002
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77873, LAT: 40.91188
Location: 126 W High St, Bellefonte, just off square
Marker Text: First woman registered as an architect by the state (1920), this Bellefonte native, inventor, Cornell grad & women’s suffrage advocate designed numerous buildings, including the Plaza Theatre here. She served as Special Agent, Army intelligence, WWI.
Pennsylvania Match Factory
Dedicated: June 26, 2004
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.78192, LAT: 40.90787
Location: Willowbank St (PA 150) at Phoenix Ave, Bellefonte
Marker Text: One of the nation’s leading producers of wooden matches during the first half of the 20th century; founded 1899 by Bellefonte entrepreneurs. The factory buildings opened in 1900, using the vast resources of the surrounding lumber region. By World War II, the company had merged into the Universal Match Corp., and the workforce had grown to 400. The factory closed in 1947 due to competition from book matches and cigarette lighters.
James A. “Billboard” Jackson (1878-1960)
Dedicated: May 18, 2014
GPS Coordinates: LNG: -77.77625, LAT: 40.91268
Location: 207 E High St (Near N Penn intersection), Bellefonte
Marker Text: A prominent African American journalist, as editor at Billboard magazine, Jackson promoted black theater during the 1920s Harlem Renaissance. He later fostered African American business activities for the US Dept. of Commerce. He was born and raised here.